Photos: G. Basilico
The new HAAS HAUS in Vienna is situated opposite St. Stephen’s Cathedral on the corner of the Graben and the square, overlooking the Goldschmiedgasse.
The design of the building, no easy task in view of importance an history of the location, was entrusted to Architect HANS HOLLEIN.
HOLLEIN’s idea has been to follow the line of ancient fortified walls around the Roman camp of Vidobona, on which the building stands. On the plan, the HAAS HAUS appears as a curved line spanning the corner it occupies.
Curtain walling is a basic feature of the project. Arch. Hollein has required a detailed study in order to achieve the right personalization of the work, which led to two different solutions:
a curved facade of 24 mt. radius, to form a polygonal outline created with flat external panes;a curved facade of 4-5 mt. radius, to form a rounded outline using curved structural elements and panes.
Anolock blue-grey anodized profiles
Triple glass Panorami® bent structural curtain walling
Triple glass Panorami® polygonal curtain walling
For the rounded façade the Panorami structural silicone system has been adopted in order to absorb the different tolerances of frames and glazing.
The proposed PANORAMI® system, suitably adopted includes additional concealed mechanical retention of the external panes, as per Austrian requirements.
The PANORAMI® system ensures notably low K values. In HAAS HAUS project, an especially advantageous value is achieved by utilising sandwich insulating layer.
With three panes of glass of a different thickness combined with the two cavities a sound reduction of 40 dB is achieved.
Transparent modules con be opened outwards while internal double glazed unit can be opened inwards for cleaning and inspection purposes. In compliance with Austrian standards reflective toughened glasses were subjected to Heat Soak Test.
Hans Hollein born on March 30, 1934 in Vienna/Austria, is an architect, theoretician, urban planner, designer, artist and teacher. He studied architecture and urban planning at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago until 1959. In 1960 he finished his studies at the University of California in Berkeley as Master of Architecture. After his return to Vienna he worked in several architecture offices, until he started his own business as certified civil engineer in 1964. From 1964 until 1970 he was editor of the magazine “Bau” in Vienna and worked also for several national and international architectural journals as a correspondent. From 1967 until 1976 he was professor at the Academy of Arts in Düsseldorf. At the University of Applied Arts in Vienna he was head of the master class for Industrial Design and of the Institute for Design, from 1976 until 1979, as well as head of a master class for architecture from 1979 until 2002 and head of the Department I Architecture from 1995 until 1999. In 2010 he founded together with Ulf Kotz and Christoph Monschein the Hans Hollein & Partner ZT-GmbH. In 1985 Hollein was awarded the Pritzker Prize.