Refurbishment of Rizzoli Headquarters - Corriere della Sera Newspaper
Contractor Colombo Costruzioni SpA
Photos: D. Domenicali
This complex refurbishment consists of the renovation and transformation of the “RCS Editori” premises in Milan; a project which intended to keep the historical architectural image that the old editorial offices had towards the city.
The original elevations have undergone to maintenance works or partial modification which, on the whole, will confirm the original characteristics.
Constructed in 1963, the project of Architect Rosselli, it had been built to contain the newspaper rotary presses.
It was built in 1925 a project by Eng. Repossi and it develops in the block, continuing the building 5.
It has been built in 1907, the project of Eng. Repossi. It is “C” shaped on plan with the main body on San Marco Street and the two wings developing inside the block.
Building 6,+ 6 a)
They have been built in 1908 again a project by Eng. Repossi; they are located on San Marco Street in continuation of building 5, whose project elements are fully maintained.
This building consists of a main body which develops inside the block and two lateral wings which enclose the internal fronts of the buildings 6 and 6 bis.
Building 8 consists of two floors underground which develop also horizontally under the square and two upper floors which are still in use.
This last one is the oldest building interested by our intervention, it has been constructed in 1700 and was originally “L” shaped on plan which developed towards the internal of the block
The main feature of the historical façade, which is present in the buildings 4, 5, 6, 6 a), are the wide windows with ornamental elements of the first and second floor.
The window frames have been replaced with new thermally broken aluminium profiles which have been designed to comply with the strictest European standards on thermal and acoustic insulation.
Metal ventilated cladding
The metal ventilated façade is the upper part of the cladding of each different building and thus creating a trademark for the whole project (it helps to distinguish / characterise all the buildings of the project).
For the new buildings 7 and 8, this metal ventilated cladding is used on the whole façade except for the ground floor.
This type of façade consists of 3 mm thick hot galvanised sprayed aluminium panels which are fixed to the primary structure of aluminium extruded profiles (hot galvanised spraying is a complex finishing treatment which is done to provide a special “antique effect” to the façades).
This type of surface finishing is very important to achieve the effect of “raw material” which characterise the historical image of the buildings.
Therma ® glazed curtain walling
The glazed façade has been largely used for the building 1, it replaces the old cladding in “U” shaped glass on plan, in order to give continuity with the industrial character of the area.
This type of façade has been also adopted as an “interruption” of the historical façade in the courtyard of the buildings 1 and 5.
The Therma® system curtain walling consists of a selective glass which provides a high performance in terms of solar control and light transmission at the same time, and an aluminium profile with thermal break.
The aluminium mullions and transoms grid are tubular in section. From the outside the opening and the fixed areas have the same appearance. The hinges and the opening mechanisms are concealed inside the profiles. The surface treatment finishing of the aluminium profiles is a polyester powder coating.
Gregotti Associati International architects
Vittorio Gregotti was born in Novara in 1927 and he graduated in architecture at the University Politecnico di Milano in 1952. From 1953 to 1968 he carried out his activities in collaboration with Ludovico Meneghetti and Giotto Stoppino. In 1974 he has founded the practice Gregotti Associati, which he is president. He was a professor of Architectural Composition at the Institute of Architecture University in Venice, he taught at the Faculty of Architecture of Milan and Palermo, and was visiting professor at the University of Tokyo, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Lausanne, Harvard, Philadelphia, Princeton, Cambridge (UK) and M.I.T. Cambridge (Massachusetts.). He has participated in several international exhibitions and has been responsible for the introductory section of the XIII Triennale (Milan 1964), for which she won the International Award. From 1974 to 1976 he was director of visual arts and architecture of the Venice Biennale. He is Academic St. Luke from 1976 and the Brera Academy from 1995. He was awarded an honorary degree from the Technical University in Prague in 1996 and the Faculty of Architecture of the Polytechnic of Bucharest in 1999. Since 1997 he is a member of the BDA (Bund der deutschen Architekten) and since 1999 he is an honorary member of the American Institute of Architects. From 1953 to 1955 he was editor of Casabella, from 1955 to 1963 editor of Casabella-Continuity; from 1963 to 1965 Director of Edilizia Moderna and responsible for the architecture section of the magazine Il Verri; from 1979 to 1998 he was Director of Rassegna and from 1982 to 1996 again Director of Casabella. From 1992 to 1997 he collaborated with the BBC since 1997 and works with the main Italian newspapers La Repubblica and Il Corriere della Sera.