New Campari Headquarters – Offices & Residential
Sesto San Giovanni
Contractor Moretti Contract Srl
Photos: Enrico Cano
New Campari Headquarters – Offices and two residential areas
The history of Campari starts from a small place in Novara, il Caffè dell’Amicizia (the Friendship Café), acquired by Gaspare Campari in 1860. After moving to Milan in 1867, the Campari Café opens on the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, meeting point of the greatest artists of the time. After the death of Gaspare, his son Davide continues to give new impulse to the family business. The company's first factory is established in Milan in 1892, and then a second one, in 1904, in the nearby Sesto San Giovanni.
The redevelopment of Campari Headquarters in Sesto San Giovanni took place through a new construction which includes an office building on the fronts of Viale Gramsci and Via Sacchetti and residential towers on Via Campari, setting the rest of the area free for the new urban park.
The new Campari headquarters is divided into two main buildings hinged together. One is spread over nine floors above ground and two underground floors, whilst the other has the shape of a bridge and has only two floors above ground, the fourth and fifth, as well as two underground.
These two volumes embrace the office building of the old factory, now assigned as museum of the Company. A little evidence of industrial heritage, which shows on the closed sides two mosaics evocating the iconic advertising images designed by Depero for Campari.
Designed to be the scene of exhibitions and cultural events, the new lobby is characterized as a large covered plaza that faces to the park.
The residences are divided into four towers shaped like a quarter of a circle, of different heights, covered with red bricks, the highest of which is located on the corner of Via Gramsci and Via Campari.
These towers contain about 100 apartments in addition to commercial activities on the ground floor and they are equipped with the latest technology to meet the needs of environmental sustainability and energy saving.
Stick curtain walling system
Double skin curtain walling
THE RESIDENTIAL PROJECT
The project LE RESIDENZE DI VIA CAMPARI is characterized by the use of innovative high quality products:
Wide sliding doors (up to 4.000mm wide x 2.750mm high) with triple glazing units with a low-E coating on face 5 (Argon filled double cavity with an U-Value of 0,7 W/m2 °C), thus achieving an average thermal transmittance U W of 1,8 W/m2 °C.
The windows achieve an acoustic performance, tested on site, D2m,n,T,w of 40 dB
The single leaf windows have thermal and acoustic performances very similar to the sliding version.
A distinguishing feature of the project consists of a circular window, 1200mm in diameter, inlaid in the terracotta ventilated façade, with the same above mentioned thermal performances. It also provides an acoustic performance, tested on site, D2m,n,T,w of 40 dB.
The complexity of this project is enhanced by the 9000 m2 of Terracotta ventilated façade.
The system consists of standard and corrugated profile tiles which have been bespoke designed and installed in alternate stripes following the curved radii of the building’s complicated geometry.
The ventilated façade is mechanically restrained to an AISI 304 stainless steel substructure, fixed on the concrete structure by means of expansion bolts.
The concrete structure is insulated by a thermal composite system with rendering (extruded EPS). The terrace areas are provided with a perimeter terracotta cladding 450mm in width.
The shopfronts at ground floor consist of stick curtain walling with DGU and low-E coating on face 3 (U-Value of 1,0 W/m2 °C), thus achieving an average thermal transmittance U W of 1,8 W/m2 °C and an acoustic performance, tested on site, D2m,n,T,w of 42 dB.
THE OFFICE BUILDING PROJECT
Double envelope façade - Construction system and installation sequence
The double envelope façade of the office building consists of a mixed system with an external and an internal skin.
The outer skin is a unitised system, which has been pre-assembled in the factory. Each unit is 1.500mm wide x 4.100mm high and consists of a steel profile grid of suitable section (with intermediate transom at 2.050mm high) in which are inserted the terracotta louvers (average weight of each unit is 700 kg).
The inner skin consists of two main components:
The spandrel fascia (steel frame, mineral wood insulator and aluminium sheet), having dimension of 4.500mm wide x 1.200mm high, is assembled in the factory and is installed complete with supporting brackets for the external skin and the steel walkway grid. The average weight of each fascia is 550 Kg.
The Glazing (2.900mm high from floor to floor) is a stick system with thermal break profiles, which allows the DGU installation or disassembly from the inside of the building (the average weight of the inner skin is 70kg/m2).
The system proposed for the site has been designed taking into particular consideration the following observations / assumptions:
The installation of the primary structures performed without the use of traditional external scaffolding.
Delivery times have been able to be reduced by using a construction solution that allowed high-speed installation while ensuring a guaranteed high quality of the installed product.
Given the heavy weight of the DGU (1.500mm wide x 2.900mm high with a weight of 240 kg), it soon becomes evident that all the glazing assembly, removal and replacement if broken, must take place from inside the building.
In consideration of the loads and stresses involved, it was not possible to use the maintenance walkway during the installation activities, which have required the use of bespoke equipment and specialised personnel.
Spandrel fascia (4.500mm wide x1.200mm high), complete with brackets and walkway grid;
External skin units (1.500mm wide x4.100mm high), complete with terracotta louvres;
Internal skin components (aluminium profiles, glazing, etc), pre-assembled in the factory and then installed from the inside of the building;
Glazing installation with a specialised vacuum lifting equipment;
Aluminium Coping in order to achieve a weather tight curtain walling;
Slab fire stop detail installed from the inside of the building;
Aluminium interface flashings between curtain walling mullions and internal partitions;
Finishing aluminium flashings of the internal skin.
Mario Botta's career has spanned more than two busy decades; in addition to his practice, Mario Botta has served as a visiting professor at the Ecole Polytechnic Federale in Lausanne, Switzerland, for the past ten years. In 1982, Mario Botta was made a member of the Commission Federale Svizzera delle Belle Arti, and in 1983, became an honorary fellow of the Bund Deutscher Architeckten (BDA). The American Institute of Architects (AIA) conferred honorary fellowship upon Mario Botta in 1984. Today, Mario Botta continues his active lecturing in Europe. North America, and Latin America
Giancarlo Marzorati, architect of Sesto San Giovanni, where he lives and plays his profession, he graduated from the Milan Polytechnic in 1974.
Its versatility led him to deal with different themes such as shopping malls, residential complexes, cinemas and auditorium, in the last period he is focusing particularly abroad the Lombardy region, expressing his personality as a designer aimed at careful study of the forms designed in an urban context focusing even at maximum capability information.
Related to this project